Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Monthly Musings: June


I was a bit of a news junkie this month considering everything that’s going on in Greece as well as in Charleston, South Carolina. The news can be depressing though, can’t it? So I did take some time out to do some mindless reading. This month’s photo is a bit of a throwback to my trip to The Cloisters last year.
  • Take Down the Confederate Flag—Now – A short and to the point article from The Atlantic that explains why the Confederate flag should be taken down. If you read my post on the same issue, then this will give you some insight into other aspects of the same argument.
  • New York City’s 20 Hottest Restaurants – I love eating out, and New York has some of the best restaurants in the world (I may be a tad biased). My Dad sent me this list and had my mouth watering.
  • The Ultimate Checklist for Long-term Travel – It’s no secret that I love to travel or that I love Europe (what I’ve seen of it anyway). Recently though, I’ve gotten this crazy idea that maybe I should run off to Europe for a few years. And just as the idea started forming in my head, World of Wanderlust posted this amazing article on Long-term travel. I saved it for future reference, just in case.
  • American Pharoah Wins Triple Crown, Ends 37-year Drought – I was one of those people glued to the TV when it was post time for American Pharoah. I think horses are gorgeous creatures and have grown up hearing about the 3 Triple Crown winners that my father has seen in his life—Secretariat (1973), Seattle Slew (1977), and Affirmed (1978). American Pharoah made history though, and I can now say that I’ve at least seen one Triple Crown winner in my lifetime.
  • “Game of Thrones” finale: Cersei’s Public Shaming has Deep Historical Roots – I knew that Cersei’s walk was coming, but that didn’t make watching it any easier. She’s an evil, evil human being, but even I was moved by Lena Headey’s performance. If she doesn’t get at least an Emmy nomination, then there is something wrong with the world. But Salon’s article on the medieval history of such walks of shame was like candy for a history junkie like me.
  • The Wars that Inspired “Game of Thrones” – I always knew that George R.R. Martin’s world had a lot of parallels with medieval Europe, but this Youtube video by Ted Ed lays it all out with cartoons of all things! It was really entertaining.
  • 15 Pieces of Career Advice Every Young Woman Needs – I’ve only been in the workforce (full-time anyway) for about two and a half years, so I still have a lot to learn about building a career. Career Girl Daily’s tips really resonated with me though, and I hope I’m able to apply them in my current position!

No comments:

Post a Comment