Monday, February 23, 2015

Oscars Round-Up: Good, Bad, & Ugly

As we all know though, the Oscars are just as much about the movies as they are the fashion on the red carpet, don’t you think?  A lot of the time, the colors, styles, accessories, and hairstyles that we see at the Academy Awards and the after-parties inform the trends of the next year (or that’s how it seems to me).  There were a lot of red and pink dresses, and I have to say that I am a huge fan.

While the golden statues are in their new homes today with a worthy group of actors and actresses, today (and probably the next week or so) are all about the Oscar fashions.  Who were this year’s best and worst dressed?  Everyone has an opinion, including me.

My five best dressed are pictured above (in no particular order).  Rosamund Pike's Givenchy (one of my favorite designers) made her waist look so tiny, and the color just worked with her complexion.  Both Scarlett Johansson (in Versace) and Zoe Saldana (wearing Atelier Versace) just gave birth, but they were stunners in their body-con gowns.  I was a huge fan of how bad-ass Scarjo looked with that hair and statement necklace.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, Anna Kendrick's Thakoon Panichgul was a little princessy and sugary sweet but still gorgeous.  And Margot Robbie's Saint Laurent was the right amount of drama and accessorized beautifully.

Unfortunately, there were some looks that didn't do anything for me or made me think "oh my goodness, what were you thinking?"  Those looks are pictured below (also in no particular order). Carmen Ejogo's Houghton design just didn't work for me.  It looked a bit cheap and didn't suit her body type, in my opinion.  Nicole Kidman wore Louis Vuitton, but I think the color made her look washed out.  The style was rather boring too, which was the same problem I had with Kerry Washington's Miu Miu gown.  I felt like I could've gone into any bridal store and picked either dress off the rack.  Solange Knowles wore Christian Siriano (Project Runway anyone?), but the look just screamed cleric's robe.  A cardinal maybe?  And the pattern on Keira Knightley's Valentino just confused me.

Who were your picks for best/worst dressed?


So how did your predictions do? I did respectably by predicting 12 of 24 winners in the best foreign language film, sound editing, supporting actress, visual effects, production design, cinematography, documentary, original song, original screenplay, director, leading actress, and best picture categories.

I was surprised that Keaton didn't get leading actor, but I was so excited for Eddie!  His speech was adorable.  I also have to give some major props to Lady Gaga for that tribute to The Sound of Music (and to Julie Andrews for being such a class act).  And NPH delivered some zingers, but was a fantastically entertaining host.  What did you think of the show?  Did you stay up for the whole thing?

*Pictures by Getty Images.

8 comments:

  1. Loved Rosamund Pike's look. I'd throw Emma Stone in there too., She always look amazing x

    peepintokslife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma Stone was GORGEOUS, but I wasn't a huge fan of the color of her gown. She did look flawless though!

      Delete
  2. Rosamund Pike is absolutely killing it style wise, all of her red carpet looks have been incredible recently. And for a huge Scandal fan, Kerry Washington is my other (slightly bias) favourite :)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Kerry Washington in Scandal, but her dress did nothing for me, sadly! :(

      Delete
  3. They looked so gorgeous!
    ---
    http://breakfastataris.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete