Tuesday, February 3, 2015

DIY Acne Spot Treatment (That Costs Pennies)


Pimples have that way of popping up at the most inopportune times and then linger and linger and linger. If you’re like me, then you’ve tried every over-the-counter scrub, cleanser, and acne spot treatment that money can buy. You’ve probably also tried popping them or covering them up with make-up (which only seems to make matters worse). Pimples are unsightly and, even if it's small, I end up feeling like I have Mount Everest growing on my face for all to see (insert horrible images of people pointing and jeering here).

For me, there seems to be nothing I can do to stop one or two pimples from rearing their ugly heads (pun intended) at that time of the month. I try all sorts of pre-emptive maneuvers but the usual treatments don't seem to work in this one case.  But I did stumble upon an inexpensive DIY treatment that works for me and will hopefully work for you too!

You’ll Need...


  • 2-3 Aspirins (with no coating) - I typically use Bayer but Excedrin works too! 
  • Water
  • Mortar and pestle (or, like me, a makeshift mortar and pestle)



And The Steps...


  1. The moment you notice a pimple, set to work crushing 2-3 aspirins into a fine powder.
  2. Add just enough water (no more than a few drops) to the powder to create a thick paste. If it becomes too watery, then crush and add more aspirins.
  3. Clean afflicted area and hands. Apply a thick-layer of the aspirin paste directly to the pimple. Let paste dry.
  4. Reapply paste, adding water to rehydrate it as needed.

I tend to do this routine at night so that I can apply the paste 3 times (and I usually sleep in the third application). Admittedly, I wake up with a pillowcase covered in dried aspirin powder, but I think that’s a small price to pay! Plus, it’s easy to clean up. By morning, the offending pimple is greatly reduced in size and there’s considerably less redness. After repeating this process for a second night, my pimple is just about gone.  

There you have it-- an acne spot treatment that costs pennies!

A Few Things To Keep In Mind...


I've only used this as a spot treatment, and I've noticed that it works best for pimples that have a white-head (not those hard buggers that lurk just under the surface of the skin).  For severe acne breakouts, I'd still recommend Proactiv.  And remember that keeping your skin clean is a must to avoid pimples, blackheads, and other gross blemishes.

 Do you have any tricks for getting rid of pimples?  I'd love to hear about them. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment