Sunday, April 12, 2015

Extreme Dog-Earring: Artfolds Paper Sculpture


I’m one of those people who thinks it’s sacrilegious to dog-ear books. So when one of my aunts bought me ArtFolds book, I couldn’t figure out why anyone would ruin a good book by folding over all the pages. It took me months of staring at my copy of ArtFolds' Sense and Sensibility before I decided to live dangerously and go for it (I’m such a rebel, I know).

For those of you who don’t know what ArtFolds is, the concept is that you turn a book you’ve read into a paper sculpture. By folding the pages according to detailed instructions, your book is transformed into a word or design that can add interest to any book case. In my case, the pages of Sense and Sensibility folded into the word “Love,” which is a sweet sentiment from my aunt.

Since I’ve read Sense and Sensibility more times than I can count, I skipped re-reading the Austen novel and spent a couple hours one rainy Saturday afternoon creating my paper sculpture. I think it looks kind of nifty, don’t you?

I don’t think I will be any less vocal about how dog-earring books is a vile habit (buy a bookmark!), but at least my ArtFolds edition of Sense and Sensibility turned dog-earring (extreme dog-earring) into something pretty. I sacrificed a book for the greater good. For art!

2 comments: