Thursday, January 29, 2015

#TBT: Town-hopping on the Amalfi Coast




While in Rome, I took a little detour to the Amalfi Coast. It couldn’t have been a more beautiful day for it weather-wise and escaping the city was just what the doctor ordered. The drive along the coast was basically one Kodak moment after the other, I kid you not. On one side of the road there were majestic mountains, all craggy and imposing; on the other side, the clearest blue (Amalfi blue) water I've ever seen. And all along the way there were these lovely lemon orchards (limoncello anyone?).

I stopped in two coastal towns before heading back to Rome—Amalfi and Positano. Amalfi was a busy little town that crept uphill from the beach. Quaint, pigeon-hole stores lined both sides of the main road, and most of the items you could buy consisted of three things: hand-painted ceramics, lemon everything (specifically, the Sorrento Lemon), and billowing cheesecloth clothing. Positano was a beautiful town built into the side of the cliff. It was a leisurely stroll down the mountain to the beach, but then a pretty steep hike back to the top. And like Amalfi, there were ceramics and lemons everywhere.

I was sad to leave the coast behind after only a few hours and even sadder that I didn’t have an opportunity to take a swim in that gorgeous water. If I ever When I go back, the Amalfi Coast certainly requires more than just a few hours of a day.  I could see myself laying out on a beach there for a week or two without a worry in the world.




2 comments:

  1. This post is absolutely gorgeous. I want to visit Italy so bad! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tawni. <3

      Italy was amazing! Everyone should go if they can manage it.

      Delete