Saturday, January 31, 2015

Hipster-Approved Painted Mason Jars in 5 Easy Steps

I’m a DIY sort of girl. Are any of you? I loved doing craft projects as a kid, and now I get my crafty fix by personalizing the odds-and-ends that decorate my room. Not only do I find these sorts of projects fun and therapeutic, but they save me a bit of money along the way.

One of my Christmas gifts this year was a beautiful bar-cart that I’ve now set out to stock and style. I’ve been scouring the internet for gold and turquoise accessories but have either found things I like that aren’t in the right shade or things that I like that are too rich for my blood. I knew I wanted something that could hold those adorable striped straws I’ve been eying on Etsy as well as cocktail stirrers and other little bar tools, but it wasn’t until I discovered painted mason jars on Etsy that I found exactly what I was looking for. Instead of buying them though, I figured I could save a few dollars by painting some jars myself.  I'd also end up with the colors that worked best for me, so I didn't see any drawbacks.

You’ll Need...


  • Clear Bell Mason Jars (I got mine from AC Moore)
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Piece of Cardboard



And The Steps...


  1. Empty your small bottle of acrylic paint into the bottom of your clean mason jar.
  2. Slowly spin the mason jar to coat the inside completely with the acrylic paint.
  3. Once the entire inside of the jar is coated, set it upside down on a piece of cardboard. This will help drain out any excess paint.
  4. Move the jar to another spot on the cardboard every 15 minutes until there is no longer excess paint leaving rings on the cardboard.
  5. Stand jar upright and let the paint dry overnight.
I thought this was a quick and easy DIY project, and I was happy with the results. I painted two jars—one in turquoise and another in metallic gold—and the acrylic paint gave both jars a vibrant and opaque finish while still showing off the Bell logo and design. How very hipster of me! As an added bonus the whole project cost me under $5.

Although I’m using my jars for storage and decoration on my bar, these would be wonderful as vases, make-up brush holders, party décor, and whatever other uses you can think of.  A lot of people use these painted jars for centerpieces at weddings and bridal showers, which I think is a lovely take on a traditional floral centerpieces.

If anyone gives this a try, I'd love to hear how it turned out! Pictures would be lovely too.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment